Lithium Cordless Dust Buster Hand Vacuum Cleaner



SHARING IS CARING ⇨


Ideal for Quick Pick Up

The sleek CHV1410L boasts lithium technology, strong suction and fade-free power. With a translucent bagless dirt bowl, the dirt is easy to see and empty. Ever ready, the hand vac can hold a charge for up to 18 months when off the charger, and is lightweight enough to tackle quick pick ups around the home.
Smart Charge Technology

High efficiency Lithium ion chargers help to protect your BLACK+DECKER hand vac by automatically shutting off when the battery is charged, allowing you to conveniently store your BLACK+DECKER hand vac on the charger while maintaining long run times, year after year.
About Black + Decker

Since 1910, Black + Decker has been setting the standard for innovation and design of power tools, accessories, outdoor yard care equipment, home cleaning products, automotive and lighting products, hardware and other home improvement products. 
The inventor of the first portable electric drill with pistol grip and trigger switch, Black + Decker has evolved from a small machine shop in Baltimore, Maryland to a global manufacturing and marketing powerhouse with a broad line of quality products used in and around the home and for commercial applications. When users need to get work done, they trust Black + Decker for the products that will do the job efficiently and reliably ideal for any quick pick up.
16V MAX Lithium Ion Dustbuster

This hand vac provides consumers with everything they need in a hand vac, plus long battery life, year after year. The CHV1410L features great power and suction for use on everything from carpet to ceramic tile to furniture and more.
Cyclonic Action

The cyclonic action spins dust and debris away from the filter keeping suction strong. It delivers powerful suction where users need it most.
Multi-Surface Cleaning Attachments

The 16V Lithium hand vac boasts an innovative, lightweight shape, allowing users to take advantage of a rotating slim nozzle design combined with a built-in extension crevice feature. The slim nozzle provides 50 percent greater reach than previous Black & Decker models, ideal for those hard-to-access areas and tight spots. 
The wide mouth design scoops up large debris and simply flip up the brush to clean upholstery or extend the crevice to access tight spaces. This unit also has a quick charging base that keeps the unit charged and the accessories organized.
Easy Clean

Other added convenient features of this Dustbuster include the easy-to-clean-and-empty bowl, and the machine washable filter. For a more thorough clean, simply remove the entire bowl from the unit and wash it in your sink.
I've owned some type of Dustbuster/handvac for the last twenty years and I don't think I've ever ever had one that I didn't hate. Too little suction power, not enough charge time, the suction nozzle is awkward to use, and the batteries are always dead after a couple minutes. 

I can keep them plugged into the wall all the time, but that kills the battery and wastes electricity. I have found it much more effective to just use the suction hose on my upright, even though that means lugging my vacuum around. So I decided to see what is new in handvac technology and if they have improved at all over the last ten years. Fortunately, I can say that they have.


The Black and Decker 14.4v Lithium Ion DustBuster is the same handvac as the Black & Decker CHV1410 Dustbuster 14.4-Volt Cordless Cyclonic Hand Vac except it contains a Lithium-Ion (LIB) battery, whereas the standard CHV1410 contains a nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cd) battery. If you're trying to decide between the two devices, I would recommend this Lithium-Ion model due to the advantages of the battery:

1. Higher energy density - this means that the LIB battery can hold more energy per volume. In this case the CHV1410L holds about twice the amount of energy as the CHV1410.

2. Greater power density - this refers to bursts of power the battery is capable. It works well when combined with the higher energy density mentioned above.

3. No memory effect - this is something you might have noticed with a Ni-Cd battery. These batteries work best when you fully discharge the battery and then recharge it. With a Dustbuster, you're almost never going to do this. You'll use it for a few minutes then put it back on the mount to charge. This can sometimes product a memory effect, where the cadmium inside the battery forms crystals and the battery will hold less of a charge. A LIB battery does not experience a memory effect.

4. Non-toxic - Ni-Cd batteries are toxic and classified as hazardous. LiB aren't, so disposal is much better for the environment.

LiB do have a couple small disadvantages, but in this application and with the frequent recharging the Dustbuster will see, I feel that it is definitely the right choice. Not to mention the toxicity factor alone makes me feel better about using this type of battery.

USE AND OPERATION - I evaluated both the CHV1410L and the standard CHV1410 at the same time to see what the real difference was between the devices and how the battery affected them. The main thing I like about the CHV1410L does have to do with the battery. It will supposedly hold a charge for up to 18 months. I can't confirm if this is true, but the first time I had it, I gave it a full charge and then removed it from the power source and let it sit uncharged for 30 days. 

When I tried it out, it seemed to be completely charged and worked great. With my previous Dustbuster, it would have been dead after two days. I did the same 30 day test with the CHV1410. Although it did still have a powerful charge in it and seemed to work fine, I did notice it was less powerful than the CHV1410L. 

I tested this by putting two small Styrofoam balls in front of the Dustbusters at a specific distance, and then gradually moved the Dustbusters closer to the peanuts until they sucked them up. In repeated tests, the CHV1410L grabbed the ball slightly before the CHV1410, demonstrating more power. For the remainder of my use and testing, the two units performed the same.

The main thing I noticed about using the Dustbuster is how powerful it is. I was not expecting much out of it, but it performed almost as well as my upright. It has a narrow opening on the front of it to concentrate more of the power. That little green piece on the end pulls out and extends the dustbuster so you can get in hard to reach places. 

This worked great for cobwebs and getting dust from under furniture like sofas and dressers. The crevice tool also has a small brush attached to it. I tried it out on a sofa covered in dog hair, but did not find that the brush helped much at all. It was just as easy to use it without the brush. The only way I see that the brush might be handy is for my ceiling fans, which allows me to press down on the crevice tool without pressing into the blade. Otherwise it's not very useful.

CLEANING - The CHV1410L is very easy to clean. It's bagless, and uses a plastic filter. You just press in the tabs and it unlocks and you can shake it out into a trash can. One problem I did have with it is that dog hair seemed to collect in the filter holes and I had to pull these out by hand. But I've used a lot of bagless vacuums like this with these types of filters and I would say this is one of the easier ones to clean.

Overall, I'm very happy with the CHV1410L and plan to use it for almost everything I was using my upright for, which will save me a lot of time not having to drag it out of the closet and plug it in. The only real negative I have with it is that it's fairly loud, which I guess is to be expected for something so powerful.